Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Adelaide Marathon (losing my viriginity)

The Adelaide Marathon is on this Sunday 30th August and I have put up my hand to do it. It is my first attempt at a marathon and I have put in quite a few kms training to get my body ready for the assault. I certainly could have done a few more long runs but the few I have done give me some confidence that I can finish. As long as I drink enough I should be right.

I have looked high and low on the net for info on hydration and I think that ideally I should be consuming around 700ml an hour, possibly more towards the end. The event has Gu20 as its electrolyte drink, I have not tried it so I hope it is palatable. I will take a couple of gels through the event but I am not convinced that they do much. The ones I have taken during training have not hurt so I think I might as well take them. The extra carbs should help with recovery at least.

The course starts at Santos Stadium, heads down to Glenelg, goes along the coast to West Beach then back down Henley Beach and then along the Torrens back to Santos Stadium. A full 42.2 kms which is relatively flat but could experience some windy sections. The forecast is for some showers at the moment. That I can live with but please no wind. I aim to set off slow, around 5.10 min per km for the first couple of k's then ramp it up to around 4.55 per km and try and keep it there until half way then assess how I feel. I would like to stay around that pace till at least the 30 km mark and then I am into the unknown. I know that I will slow towards the end but I did manage in my last long run of 28 kms to finish strong so would hope to keep my pace around 5.10-5.15 in the last 10-12 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment