Monday, June 22, 2009

Bike FIt, running long and logging it

Hey,

in my last post I mentioned that I would be getting a professional bike fit. It gone done but I was a little disappointed with the process but not the result. Firstly the guy I wanted to do the fit had the day off. I made the booking with him knowing that I wanted him to do the fit as he had been recommended. Secondly the the guy who ended up doing my fit, although getting a good result for me, wasn't really up there for customer service. I had to wait for 10 mins past the booking time while he chatted with some dude in the shop and then on numerous occasions had to wait while he served customers. The guy didn't even introduce himself to me, pretty weird when you spend 2 hours in the shop pedaling etc.

Well, now that is off my chest, the changes to the bike.
  • seat raised by 15mm
  • seat forward by 10mm
  • major readjustment of the right cleat
  • 120mm stem replaced with a 80mm stem
  • aerobars shortened
  • seat angle set to 0%
I have not had a chance to get on the road since then due to weather and prior commitments but have had a couple of trainer sessions. The first one was a low HR 125-130bpm session @ 90 rpm in the aero position for an hour. This was completed reasonably easily and the position felt pretty good for the whole session. The big test will be on the road.

I have been putting in quite a few kms with my running but have really changed my training style. All my runs now, except for the Jogger's World races, will be in my low HR zones, basically below 139bpm average for the run period. This is proving very hard to do as I have been going way to hard in my training prior to this, so half my training is in my head, whipping my ego and gaining awareness especially when I am going up hills. I have readjusted my training zones on my watch and bike computer and have set the alarms. I hope to see some good aerobic gains over the next couple of months.

Have found a great triathlon community for information with a really easy to use training log. Triathlog. The info is amazing and the main posters seem to be very happy to give advice and share experiences that will help others. I think that this site will help me finalize my training plan and avoid the need for a coach. The only thing I think I really need is some swim training as after looking at others swim training and times, I suck.

If anyone is reading, leave a nice comment if you want to leave one or just be plain rude, I am not really fussed.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment